Friday, November 28, 2008

Happenings

What's going on with the team? Well, here's a look:

Promises: I'm definitely looking forward to TwinsFest 2009. Here are a few gems from the last several years: (faces changed to protect the innocent)Jason Bartlett & Hot Chick

Nick Punto and Hot Chick

Torii Hunter and Hot Chick



Joe Nathan and Hot Chick

And some real classics:



This man was adamant in telling me that he was not, in fact, Nick Punto. Coulda fooled me.


Sometimes you decorate a cookie to look like Nick Punto, you take a picture of it, and then he autographs it for you.




I can only wonder who went home with this. What a treat!

Now, the Big Plans: Along with inviting former players back throughout the season, the Twins will be donning throwback jerseys when they play at home on Saturdays. What a baseball-ish thing to do. The next stat you'll see on the Twins' web page will about about a player's batting average on Saturdays at home vs. Saturdays away. What sort of impact will these uniforms have?

Justin Morneau is excited about the jerseys:

"I'm a big throwback, vintage kind of guy," Morneau said. "I like most of the old uniforms, and these are pretty sweet."

Let's talk, Justin. Remember this? Is this what you call vintage? Throwback to the days of getting dressed in the dark? Okay, okay. I'm not being fair. I shouldn't talk this way about someone I love. I'm sorry.

Things are becoming more and more intense as we get nearer to the new stadium. Let me just get this out there: I hate Target Field. No, not the stadium. I hate the name. Do we not have a Target Center just down the street? Is this state not filled to the brim with Target? Don't get me wrong, because as a young woman, I am completely enamored with the Target stores. Am I the only one who wishes this ballpark would be named "Twins Field" or "Twins Park" or even a tribute to 34 with "Puckett Park"? Even "Target Park" would be better. Target Field sounds so . . . stupid. I just don't like it.

Along the same lines, how is everyone feeling about helping to pay for the Mets' stadium? Citi Field. Citi promised $40 million for naming rights. Now that we have decided upon using our tax money to help out Citi, I suggest changing the name to Taxpayer Field. Just an idea. . .

No comments: