Friday, October 29, 2010

I'll Be Missing You

Sometimes a player makes so many great defensive plays that you forget that he doesn't know how to hit a ball. Sometimes you sort of fall in love with that player, anyway. Allow me to introduce Nick Punto.

For many years, I watched Nick Punto play for the Twins as a great utility infielder. For many years, I watched Nick Punto strike out. The thing about Nick Punto is that as much as I should have hated him, I couldn't help but love him. This little Italian guy going out there, slappin' butts, trying to put down a good bunt, but struggling all the time. 

Lovin' him
The good news today is that Jason Kubel's option was exercised by the Twins. The bad news is that Nick Punto's was not. Read about it here.

To you, Nick, I bid a fond adieu. I will miss you dearly, but I suspect you will let more people down in another city, probably in Japan.

In the meantime: It's true.

No comments: